Chong Wei turns down bookie
By Admin | Published on : Feb 20, 2018 02:46 am
KUALA LUMPUR: Former World No 1 Lee Chong Wei revealed that he was approached by a bookie a few years ago.
However, the national No 1 men's singles shuttler turned down the offer as he felt that he would be letting down the country had he done so.
"Yes, I was approached, but money is not everything to me,” said Chong Wei at the Academy Badminton Malaysia in Bukit Kiara on Tuesday.
“For me, national pride comes first and it is my responsibility to uphold it.”
The 36-year-old also warned his teammates to stay clear of match-fixing.
“There are no shortcuts to success. A player needs to work hard and be patient,” Chong Wei added.
Last week, the BA of Malaysia (BAM) disclosed that two independent shuttlers were being investigated for match-fixing and that they have been provisionally suspended from all tournaments.
One of the suspended players was a top player in his junior days. They could be handed a life ban by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) if found guilty.
The hearing will be in Singapore on Feb 26-27.
Chong Wei, who will play in next month’s All England in Birmingham, said the match-fixing scandal has in a way tarnished the reputation of Malaysian badminton.
"It has tarnished our good reputation. The two who are being investigated may not be under BAM, but they still wear our Malaysian flag on their chest.
"As a top player, I feel embarrassed and ashamed. I hope the case comes to an end soon.
“I also understand that BAM will take a stern action on those involved in it,” Chong Wei added.