19:29:17
Sunday
19 August 2018

Kadir Jasin in trouble? Police open probe over claims on Agong's expenditure

Kadir Jasin in trouble? Police open probe over claims on Agong's expenditure

KUALA LUMPUR: Police have opened an investigation paper into veteran journalist Datuk A. Kadir Jasin following his claim that the government spent RM256.9 million in 16 months on expenses for the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Muhammad V.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said the case is being investigated under the Sedition Act 1948, Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act, and Section 500 of the Penal Code for defamation.

He said police opened the investigation paper after receiving three reports on the case, involving Kadir.

“Police received only three reports to date; there may be more coming related to the case. Further investigations are being done,” he told the media after launching Op Selamat 13/2018 at the Telekom Malaysia Convention Centre on Thursday.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, when asked on the issue, said he was not aware of the amount spent.

“I have not read the said article. I have only heard what people are saying. I have not seen it.

“I want to look at it first. If the said amount given… (was over) a year or 10 years, I wouldn’t know. I will study and have a look at it. I will inform you all later,” he said.

Kadir’s claims had been criticised by PKR de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who on Wednesday had deemed it as “inappropriate”.

Anwar was quoted as saying that there should be some form of decorum when expressing views as those being criticisedwere unable to clarify such opinions.

“We have worked very hard to get the Malay rulers to appreciate this new administration,” he said, adding that he would continue to engage with the Malay Rulers on such matters.

Kadir, meanwhile, denied allegations that he “used his position” to criticise the Malay Rulers, in particular, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

In his blog kadirjasin.blogpost.com, he said his recent post on the Agong was “just his personal view.”

“Regarding Anwar’s statement yesterday (which characterised my comments as) “disputable” – please provide me with the authentic facts. If I made any mistake, I will make things right and apologise.

“(Anwar) claimed that I questioned his need to meet the Malay rulers. I did not. I was just stating that the Rulers do not need to be assured and comforted, as the Constitutional monarchs have nothing to fear if they understand their special position and stick to their duties as spelt out in the Constitution.

“I do not deny the fact that Pakatan Harapan works hard to get the support of the Malay Rulers. (I have just learnt that) besides Anwar, another PH leader had an audience with the King.

“I do not intend to trigger a polemic with Anwar because this is unnecessary. Anyone who wants to explore and understand what I wrote can read the two papers (on the matter). Read what I wrote – not what is quoted and reproduced by various parties,” he wrote.

Kadir had previously claimed that for 16 months to April this year, the allocation of RM256.9 million was “for the purposes of accommodation, residence and palace, personal items, aircraft and transportation, training and escort equipment, clothing and ceremonial items, gifts and souvenirs, overseas visits and salaries of palace staff.”



FOLLOW US

About UsContact Us © Copyright 2018. All rights reserverd.