Shuttler suspended, suspected of match-fixing
By Admin | Published on : Feb 12, 2018 07:42 pm
KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian badminton fraternity has been rocked by a recent match-fixing allegation involving a professional shuttler, who is being investigated by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
According to sources, BWF has provisionally suspended the player, who is in his 20s, from competing as investigations were ongoing.
It is understood that the world governing body started monitoring the player, who has represented Malaysia in priority tournaments, such as the World Championships and the All England, last February, but took action only last month.
“I know BWF called the player in for investigation late last year. It had apparently found enough proof, some after looking through the player’s mobile phone, to charge the shuttler,” said one of the sources yesterday.
The source said BWF would hold a hearing with the player in Singapore later this month. It is learnt that the player’s lavish lifestyle triggered BWF’s suspicion.
The case has garnered enough traction and had been the main talking point among local shuttlers and officials.
Badminton Association of Malaysia honorary secretary Datuk Ng Chin Chai, when contacted, declined to comment.
“I cannot comment on this as it is a serious allegation. I am sorry.”
This is the first time that a Malaysian shuttler has been investigated for being directly linked with match-fixing.
According to BWF’s rules and regulations, a player can be banned for life if found guilty.